Aqaba International School 2005-2012 A vision turned into reality
Aqaba International School (AIS) offers a truly unique experience by providing students with exceptionally high standards of education in a learning environment which actively promotes and encourages constructive problem solving, critical thinking, curiosity and independence.
At Aqaba International School we not only believe that education is life-long, also life-driven.
We strive to make coming to school 'fun'. To achieve this we run regular theme days, whole school assemblies, Book Weeks, Job Shadow days, school excursions, International Day, and all sorts of innovative activities that make best use of the resources available.
The creation of the Aqaba Special Economic Zone (ASEZ) has resulted in enormous growth of investments in the region. A number of exciting projects are changing the face of Aqaba. The creation of world class educational institutions and hospitals are key social/investment enablers to support further development.
As a consequence of this, Aqaba International School arose as a joint venture between Aqaba Development Corporation (ADC), and Global Education Management Systems (GEMS). This partnership ensures that the necessary funding and expertise are available to create a truly world class school in line with this vision.
Conveniently located in a residential area of Aqaba, AIS now offers an affordable, international education complemented by a strong Jordanian cultural presence. GEMS’ four core values underpin all school activities. Parents and students benefit from a motivating, open and friendly learning environment, where the standards of teaching and learning are high, with a strong focus on academic, social, cultural and moral development. A variety of extra-curricular activities complement the high academic standards and students have every opportunity to develop all aspects of their potential.
‘Key Performance Indicators’ oriented programmes.
Unique supportive environment with teaching excellence.
Individual mentoring and shared success.
Our people, purpose and goals are all driven by a set of core values.
Community built on care, respect, support, success and tolerance.
High level international education for both expatriate and local communities.
We contribute to and share ADC’s efforts in achieving their goals
AIS is a leading education school committed to providing an international style education based on the UK National Curriculum plus the National Jordanian core subjects. This enables our students to achieve their academic and personal goals.
To become and remain the school of first choice for people residing in our region who seek an ‘international’ style of education for their children.
1) Maintaining the highest quality of teaching and learning.
2) Providing gifted and talented students with scholarship opportunities.
3) Offering discounts to Jordanian families who qualify to the discount policy of the school.
4) Providing students with opportunities for university placement and preparing them well for life beyond school.
5) Mutual respect and tolerance.
6) Working with families with transparency to realise the best possible outcome for all students.
7) Providing detailed and frequent assessment advice to students and their parents.
8) Maintaining an environment that fosters international understanding as well as maintaining Jordanian traditions.
9) Responding to the needs of all members of the AIS community: students, parents and staff with very clear transparent standards.
1) Modified National Curriculum for England combined with the core National Jordanian curriculum.
2) Cambridge International Primary Project and Cambridge Checkpoint.
3) Arabic, Islamic/Christian Studies and Social Studies for Jordanian nationals. Alternative courses including French are provided for other students.
4) IGCSE examinations in Years 10 and 11 (Grades 9 and 10). Compulsory: Arabic; English; Mathematics; ICT; Global Perspectives. Options available in: Art and Design; Biology; Business Studies; Chemistry; Geography; History; Physics.
5) AS and A Levels in Years 12 and 13. Subjects currently on offer include: Arabic; Biology; Business Studies; Chemistry; English; Geography; General Studies; ICT; Mathematics; Physics; Travel and Tourism.
6) Public exams are taken with either Cambridge International Education or Edexcel.
7) Subjects are likely to be added as the school grows.
8) English as an Additional Language is provided for students who require it.
The school enjoys spacious accommodation, in an enviable location and is well resourced
1) Administration Block consisting of 4 floors with a total space of 903 square meters including a very spacious library, music rooms and drama room.
2) Students Block consisting of 3 floors with a total space of 3200 square meters which include 18 classrooms, ICT lab. and Science Lab.
3) Canteen with a total space of 326 square meter.
4) All purpose sports hall and an indoor solar heated pool for a total space of 2510 square meters.
5) Pre-fabricated buildings that include 16 classrooms, Art Room, Chemistry Lab. And an admin. area for a total space of 1590 square meters.
6) External works include: outdoor pool, football field, Volley ball, sand pit, basketball court and play areas.
The expected occupancy for the current buildings is 700 students.
1) The school is working very closely with JREDS towards raising the Green Flag and becoming an eco friendly environment.
2) Extra Curricular Activities are offered 3 days a week for all students free of charge.
3) Music and Drama being taught at the school. 2012 school production (The Book Magician) involved 300 students taking part from reception through to year 6.
4) Physical Education receives a great deal of support and time. Over 120 students from Grade 2 – G12 have participated in over 30 different sporting fixtures and numerous training sessions during 2010/11.
5) A PTA transitional committee was established in April 2007. This year witnessed our first ever fully elected committee.
6) Elections for The Student Council are held every year. An elected Head Student is chosen every year.
7) National and Religious events are celebrated at the school, donations on several occasions were given to needy families in Aqaba.
8) SOS received the amount of JD1523 in 2011 through various fund raising activities held at the school.
9) Breast cancer awareness week was conducted at the school. Razan Otaibi a Grade 11 student was hosted at (Yes3d Saba7k) Programme on JTV to talk about this initiative.
10) Funds were raised and donated to The King Hussein Cancer Centre.
11) Our first ever annual Sports Day was held this year with more than 1000 people attending.
12) The school has run residential ski trips to Switzerland and Lebanon in the past and 22 Secondary students and 3 staff took a group to London in 2012.
1) CIE (Cambridge International Education) accredited Examination Centre.
2) Members of BSME (British School of the Middle East). Only two schools in Jordan are members of this prestigious organisation.
3) Edexcel accreditation obtained in 2011.
4) Two Queen Rania awards for excellence at IGCSE (ICT and Global Perspectives).
5) A student achieved the highest CIE examination grade in Jordan, an A*, in Arabic
6) Introduction of new subject choices at IGCSE and A Level : AS ICT, AS English as a First Language, AS Chemistry, Business Studies at IGCSE and AS Level, Travel & Tourism AS Level, Art & Design IGCSE, Geography at IGCSE and AS Level.
7) Parents Orientation Evenings are held every year for years 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 and Interim Reports are produced to enhance communication to parents on pupil progress and to raise standards.
8) Shaikha Fatima Awards (Dubai) for three students in the school (2008/9: Jasmin Stoltzfus, 2009/10: Zeina Al Mughrabi and 2010/11: Zeina Al Nasser). This award is given for outstanding academic performance, commitment to their environment and world citizenship.